So i'm sure everyone has heard of at least one type of crazy "2012 end-of-the-world prophecy" by now. With the current "war" going on between the US and Libya, and Libya having Nuclear weaponry, I think if things go bad, one of those prophecies might just come true.
Scary times we're in.
Tuesday, March 1, 2011
If the Police stop you...
- -Ask, "Am I free to go?" If not, you are being detained. If yes, walk away.
- Ask, "Why are you detaining me?" To stop you, the officer must have a "reasonable suspicion" to suspect your involvement in a specific crime (not just a guess or a stereotype).
- It is not a crime to be without ID. If you are being detained or issued a ticket, you may want to show ID to the cop because they can take you to the station to verify your identity.
- If a cop tries to search you car, your house, or your person, say repeatedly that you DO NOT CONSENT TO THE SEARCH. If in a card, do not open your trunk or your door - by doing so you consent to a search of your property and of yourself. If at home, step outside and lokc your door behind you so cops have no reason to enter your home. Ask to see the warrent and check for proper address, judge signature, and what the warrant says the cops are searching for. Everything must be correct in a legal warrant. Otherwise, send the police away.
- The cops can do a "pat search" (search the exterior of one's clothing for weapons) during a detention for "officer saftey reasons." They can't go into your pockets or bags without your consent. If you are arrested, they can search you and your possessions in great detail.
- DO NOT RESIST PHYSICALLY. Use your words and keep your cool. If officers violate your rights, don't let them provoke you into striking back. Wait unil you are out of custody and organize for justice.
- Police can arrest someone they believe is "inferfering" with their actions. Maining a reasonable distance. and if cops threaten to arrest you, EXPLAIN THAT YOU DON'T INTEND TO INTERFERE, BUT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO OBSERVE THEIR ACTIONS.Know your rights, protect yourself. Don't let police officers violate them.